Nebraskans Unafraid is a non-profit organization of volunteers who recognize that the sex offense registry does not improve public safety and does not prevent sex crimes. Instead, the registry provides a list of people against whom it is acceptable to discriminate, resulting in unstable employment and housing for many registrants and their families. People convicted of crimes may deserve punishment but they do not deserve to be hamstrung for decades by a shifting landscape of registry laws in addition to that punishment.
Our vision and passion is to bring about restoration for victims and perpetrators of sex-related crimes. We will pursue healing and wholeness so that people can be freed from fear while feeling safe in their homes, neighborhoods, and communities.
In 2010, Nebraskans Unafraid was founded in Omaha, in response to the growing need for support and advocacy for individuals convicted of sexual offenses. Recognizing the unique challenges faced by this marginalized group, a passionate group of individuals came together to establish an organization that could provide resources, education, and a supportive community.
Nebraskans Unafraid Goals
- End the Registry: Because the registry does more harm than good, we want to end it altogether. Merely “reforming” the registry leaves other families to live with the risks of unemployment, homelessness, harassment, and vigilante violence that the registry brings. No family or individual deserves that.
- Support and Empowerment: Nebraskans Unafraid aims to provide a network of support, understanding, and empowerment for individuals who are listed on the registry. We help build strong family and community ties, help find employment and help find safe housing. Through peer support, educational resources, and access to referrals, we help individuals navigate the challenges they face and lead productive, fulfilling lives.
- Advocacy: We actively advocate for fair and evidence-based policies that protect the rights and well-being of individuals on the registry. Our organization engages in legislative advocacy, collaborates with policymakers, and promotes changes that prioritize public safety.
- Community Engagement and Education: Nebraskans Unafraid is committed to raising community awareness, understanding, and dialogue surrounding registry issues. We work to dispel misconceptions, combat stigma, and promote informed discussions that contribute to safer communities and successful reintegration.
- Resource Provision: We provide individuals and families listed on the registry with comprehensive and relevant resources. This includes information on legal rights, available support services, counseling/therapy, housing, employment, and other critical needs. By connecting individuals with appropriate resources, we aim to enhance their chances of successfully rejoining the community.
- Collaboration and Partnerships: Nebraskans Unafraid believes in the power of collaboration and partnerships. We actively seek opportunities to collaborate with individuals, organizations, policymakers, and professionals working in the criminal justice and reentry fields. By building strong alliances, we can amplify our impact and work towards creating a more just and inclusive society.
Nebraskans Unafraid is committed to non-partisanship and non-sectarianism. Our organization is driven by the belief that every individual, regardless of their past mistakes, deserves the opportunity to rebuild their lives and contribute positively to society. By advocating for just policies, providing support, and fostering community understanding, we aim to create a more compassionate and equitable future for all.